Saturday, May 9, 2009

Follow the Leader?

One of the things Daddy complains about the most when it comes to sports is how teams always tries to make their best player the leader of the team.  They may not want the job, but are forced into that role by other players, management, and so on. And that’s a shame because they just need to focus on their game and not worry about the other stuff.

Perfect case in point, Chipper Jones.  For years he was perfectly happy sitting in the shadow of John Smoltz’s leadership while the Braves enjoyed all of their success.

The last few years have been a different story though.  Smoltz has been injured, and now he is gone. The title of clubhouse leader has been squarely sat on Chipper’s shoulders and he doesn’t want it.  What would be best for the Braves is if one of the young guns
(Mccann, Frenchy, Jurjjens) step up to the plate and assumed the role.

As daddy told me once, being a leader is important and not something to be taken lightly.  If Chipper doesn’t want the job, maybe someone else does.  I know when I grow up, I want the job.  But for now I think I will just play with my toys.

1 comment: